Villa Magnoni The Cursed Building

Villa Magnoni which located in Cona, a village in the province of Ferrara, Italy is a long-abandoned complex, consisting of a residential building, stables, a large garden and an ice dug into the ground. Being situated on the edge of a grove, isolated from other houses, the villa has reputation as a cursed building. Moreover, the villa has several very large windows, also on the ground floor, all open and accessible. The complex has already been abandoned for some years and quite a few children in the area come here to spend a few hours of adventure, in the hot summer afternoons. But this time something really happens.

In the late 80s, a group of friends came into the house and once inside, they started hearing children singing from the garden. But they couldn’t find anybody outside there. 

While the kids are exploring a wing of the villa hear voices coming exactly on the other side of the building. Peering discover that there is an old, looking out the window of the first floor, who yells at them, threatening dire punishments for the intrusion. It's a strange presence, as Villa Magnoni is long abandoned and uninhabitable.

A few hours later, towards evening, three boys in the group are involved in a terrible car accident and lost his life. Just one of them survived. The city authorities decided to wall up all the windows of the house, except for one room, where there was no floor. The guy who survived the accident said the old woman appeared exactly from that window. The fact is that a few months later the town is walled entrances to the villa, with a high risk of collapse. Villa Magnoni is still abandoned and nobody wants to buy it.


Pic Source:
22:46 | 0 komentar

The Shag Harbour UFO Incident

On the night of October 4, 1967, at about 11:20 p.m. Atlantic Daylight Time, it was reported that something had crashed into the waters of Shag Harbour Nova Scotia. At the time, eyewitnesses watched an unknown craft come down from the sky and submerge itself under the Atlantic Ocean.However after searches were conducted, no craft or debris were officially found. The Canadian government declared that no known aircraft was involved and the source of the crash remains unknown to this day.

The unidentified flying object was observed drifting with the current on the Sound by more than a dozen witnesses including 3 RCMP officers. All of the witnesses both in and around Shag Harbour reported what they thought was an airplane crashing near Shag Harbour. The three Mounties contacted local boat captains and the Rescue Coordination Center (RCC) in Halifax, NS. The Mounties initiated a recovery operation, fully expecting to find bodies and wreckage out on the water. Initially two fishing boats loaded with volunteers went out on the water and searched. They were eventually joined by others and Coast Guard Cutter 101.

By the next morning, RCC Halifax had determined that no aircraft were missing. While still tasked with the search, the captain of the Canadian Coast Guard cutter received a radio message from RCC Halifax that all commercial, private and military aircraft were accounted for along the eastern seaboard, in both Atlantic Canada and New England.

No airplanes were reported missing. This left the searchers and witnesses wondering; what had they seen that evening in the sky and floating on the waters off Shag Harbour; a mystery that has endured to this day. The Royal Canadian Air Force designated it a UFO.

00:45 | 0 komentar

Ancient Stone Disc

The bizarre flying saucer-shaped object was dug up during excavation work by a coal mining company in Siberia's Kuznetsk Basin, Russia. The object was described as “perfectly circular with a diameter of about 1.2 meters and weighing about 440lbs,” that is, about 200 kilograms. 
The miners called archeologists to examine the object. Archeologists said they believe it is a man-made object. But given the depth at which it was found, about 40 meters underground, much deeper than the 25 meters depth at which mammoth bones thousands of years old were found in the area, the disk is possibly of prehistoric origins and thus thousands of years old.

Excavator Boris Glazkov, 40, who found the object, said: "I have to say it wasn't hard to see as it was really distinctive and large.
Mysterious Stone Disc

"I've never seen anything like this object, which is obviously man-made out, here in the middle of nowhere before. It is a real mystery."

Some ufologists claim that this is a small monument to an ancient race of extraterrestrials who appeared on Earth thousands of years ago.

02:58 | 0 komentar

Clinton Road The Haunted Highway

Clinton Road in West Milford, Passaic County, New Jersey has scared a lot of people for decades. The road and the land around it have gained notoriety over the years as an area rife with many legends of paranormal occurrences such as sightings of ghosts, strange creatures and gatherings of witches, Satanists and the Ku Klux Klan. It is also rumored that professional killers dispose of bodies in the surrounding woods—with one recorded case of this occurring.

According to the publication Weird NJ, different areas along or near Clinton Road have been much cited as the setting of urban legends, which has devoted numerous articles to the subject.

At one of the bridges over Clinton Brook (Dead Man's Curve) near the reservoir, legend says if you toss a coin into the water a boy will toss it back. People claim they’ve also seen the boy’s reflection in the water. Other claim to have been pelted with coins.

There is a conical stone structure called the Druidic temple just east of the road south of the reservoir was said to be a site where local Druids practiced their rituals, and horrible things might come to pass for any intruder who looked too closely or came at the wrong time. The building is actually an iron smelter left over from the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 when the United States was forced into creating an economic independence to complement its political freedom.

Also there have been other ghosts described by Weird NJ readers. One claims to have seen a ghost Camaro driven by a girl who supposedly died when she crashed it in 1988.

Mysterious lights are said to have been spotted over Clinton Reservoir, glowing eyes and strange footprints have been spotted in the neighboring woods, and a menacing black pickup truck supposedly chases down other drivers late at night. For anyone brave enough to venture deeper into the forest, you might find the last remains of Cross Castle.

Some visitors to the area report also seeing people dressed weirdly at odd hours who simply stare at those who see them and do not speak. Sometimes these people disappear or are apparently not seen by those present.

00:15 | 0 komentar

Mysterious Flowers on Caroline Walter's Grave

In 1867, Caroline Christine Walter died in Freiburg, Germany. On her gravestone a realistic life-sized sculpture was made and erected. For over 145 years, someone has regularly put the same bouquet of flowers underneath the sculpture's arm. Who places them there, no one knows. Every morning, under summer’s sun and winter’s snow, a fresh flower has been placed on her grave.

At the time she was living with her sister and her husband in Freiburg, Germany; they were very happy. However, in the early summer of 1867, just before she turned 17, Caroline was suffering from tuberculosis and passed away a few short weeks later. Caroline had many admirers because she was so beautiful, so many mourned her untimely death. 

Her sister Selma decided to create a lasting memorial and asked a sculptor to cast a grave in her sister’s likeness. The life size and life like sculpture depicts Caroline just as if she fell asleep reading in her own bed. Then they placed the memorial on the outside edge of the Alter Friedhof cemetery
which had already been in existence for more than 200 years. The inscription at the foot of the “bed” mentions it was given in Caroline’s memory by her loving sister Selma and that their separation must have been ordained by God’s counsel.
Soon after she passed away, and the flowers on her grave from the funeral were wilting, someone left flowers every day, but no one, not even the groundskeepers, could find out who it was. The years progressed, the family passed away, anyone who knew Caroline had passed away, and still every morning a fresh flower blooms on the dead girl’s grave.


Pic Source:
02:03 | 1 komentar

Mystery of The Longyou Caves

On June 9, 1992, a villager named Wu Anai made an incredible discovery, he accidentally unveiled a mysterious long-hidden cave on Phoenix Hil, near the village of Shiyan Beicun on the Lan River in Longyou County, Quzhou prefecture, Zhejiang province, China. Upon investigation, it turned out that this cave was one in a network of 36 hidden chambers in the area. The caves were carved in siltstone, a homogeneous medium-hard rock, and are thought to date to a period before the creation of the Qin Dynasty in 212 BCE, about 2,000 years ago. The floor of the grotto occupies more than 2,000 square meters, with the tallest point of the cave exceeding 30 meters. The four steles of cave 1 are symmetrically distributed. Despite their size and the effort involved in creating them, so far no trace of their construction or even their existence has been located in the historic record.

Interior of the caves

At the time, Wu Anai from the Chinese village of Longyou pooled his money with his neighbors to buy a water pump and began siphoning out the pond in his village. However, it wasn't really a pond at all, but the flooded entrance to an ancient, man-made cave. After 17 days pumping, enough water had been removed to reveal the cave including several carved stelae, thus confirming his idea that they were not natural reservoirs at all, but rather man-made. Like most villages in southern China, there are numerous ponds in Shiyanbei, but these are mostly rectangular, and very deep, having been known as "bottomless ponds" by generations of villagers. These ponds teem with fish, which are easily caught. After the first cave was pumped dry not a single fish was to be seen.

Unfortunately, there are no documents whatsoever have been discovered, that record the construction or purpose of the Longyou Caves, although the excavation would have been an immense, government-contracted project involving the movement of 900,000 cubic meters of rock. This is especially odd considering the ancient Chinese were meticulous record-keepers.

This discovery has called the attention of many specialists from China, Japan, Poland, Singapore and USA. One of the most interesting and challenging questions is how the caverns have been able to keep their integrity for more than 2000 years.

05:00 | 0 komentar

The Mackenzie Poltergeist

The Mackenzie Poltergeist has been called the most well-documented paranormal phenomenon in the world. Since 1998, Greyfriars Churchyard has been the epicentre of an escalation of unexplained events linked to the ghost of Mackenzie. Situated at the back of the Kirkyard, the Black Mausoleum is an imposing sight, even on a clear sunny day. The Mausoleum is the grave of Sir George Mackenzie, a former Lord Advocate whose persecution of the Covenanters in the 17th century earned him the nickname Bluidy Mackenzie.

In 1998 something happened which is said to have disturbed Mackenzie from his eternal slumber and unleashed him on the unwary souls who venture into the Kirkyard. It was, the story goes, a stormy night when a homeless man looking for shelter found himself outside the Black Mausoleum, and seeing nowhere else to go, broke the simple lock on the door and went inside.

Tomb of Sir George Mackenzie
There he found coffins, belonging to some of Mackenzie’s relatives, and he supposedly broke one open out of boredom or a morbid curiosity. Then, suddenly, the floor beneath him gave way and he fell down into a pit. The space beneath the mausoleum contained bodies as well - plague victims who had been dumped and covered over as a quick means of disposal.

Despite their age, due to their having been sealed up the bodies were still in a state of decomposition. It’s hard to imagine the kind of terror he would have felt as he tried to clamber out of that hole, away from the grasping skeletal arms and rotted flesh of the dead. And when finally he emerged, he fled from the scene, barging past a man out walking his dog and leaving him terrified.

Since then over 400 people have reported various sensations ranging from cold/hot spots, scratches and bruises right through to the ultimate attention seeking affect of being knocked totally unconscious. Most of these occurrences seemed to happen in one particular mausoleum, now known as the Black Mausoleum that resides inside the Covenanters prison. There have even been two failed attempts at exorcism only to have one of the exorcists, Colin Grant, die a week later from a heart attack.


Pic Source:
02:09 | 0 komentar

Ancient Bell Found Inside a Coal

In 1940s, a ten years old boy, Newton Anderson discovered a mysterious bell inside a lump of coal when he dropped the coal accidentally in his basement.When he broke it a metal object protruded. Soon after he completely removed all coal from the bell, which had a two-inch stem between the bell and a "human-like" figure on top--a man in a kneeling position, with arms and wings. Records show the coal had been excavated from a shallow mine near his home in Buckhannon, West Virginia.

According to Norm Sharbaugh’s book Ammunition (which includes several “coal anecdotes”) the bell is an antediluvian artifact (made before the Genesis Flood). The Institute for Creation Research had the bell submitted to the lab at the University of Oklahoma. There a nuclear activation analysis revealed that the bell contains an unusual mix of metals, different from any known modern alloy production (including copper, zinc, tin, arsenic, iodine, and selenium).
Historians compared the bell to artifacts from "all" cultures, and concluded the most similar artifact was from ancient Babel, with the figurine representing a pagan god. Both have a "horn" (broken on the bell) and wings. The face on both is eerily similar.

The bell was prominently featured in the 1992 CBS docudrama production called Ancient Secrets of the Bible and is now part of the Genesis Park collection. Later on, Newton Anderson spent a great deal of time researching the figure atop the bell. He discovered similarities to the Babylonian Southwest Wind Demon, called Pazuzu. The demon typically is shown with a headpiece like the bell figure. Indeed the bell’s headpiece appears like it may have been taller and part may have broken off. The Hindu deity Garuda is sometimes depicted on top of bells, as is the Egyptian Isis. The kneeling posture with hands clasped is quite like Garuda representations.

A convention of bell experts did not know its place of origin, although some felt there was a similarity to semi-ancient bells made in India. Their suggestion was that some early American dropped a foreign bell down a well, to be incorporated into the coal.
02:22 | 0 komentar

Ghost of the Roundhay Park

Recently, a mysterious ghostly figure appeared behind two children while they posed for a picture in the Roundhay Park, Leeds, England. At the time, the two kids Mayrian Islam, 11, and Ryhan Kaliq, 9 were posed in front of a castle that was built in 1812. Post office worker Nurul Islam, 37, who went to the park with his sister and her two children, said they were all shocked when they saw the image which looks like it shows an adult walking up the steps with arms outstretched. He insisted no one was there at the time of the photo. 

Ghostly figure appeared behind the two kids

Dr Kevin Grady, director of Leeds Civic Trust, said it was the first time paranormal activity had been recorded there. The folly was built in 1812 by George Nettleton for the Nicholson family, who bought the Roundhay Park Estate in 1803 and built The Mansion and landscaped the grounds, creating the lakes.

01:57 | 0 komentar

William Moir's Strange Dream

In June 1870 William Moir, bailiff responsible for a farm at Boyndie near Banff, had a strange and vivid dream in which he saw the dead body of a man with blood on its face, lying on a slight mound on some sloping ground that bounded his farm and stretched to the seashore, about 16ft from the high water mark. Moir, described as an "intelligent, steady, and modest man, 35 years of age, and married", was deeply affected by the dream. In July 1870 there came what initially appeared to be the fulfilment of the dream. A man who had been an inmate of the Banffshire Lunatic Asylum, at Ladysbridge, was found drowned at a point about 200 yards from the place in Moir's dream. Together with some menservants, Moir had been out sea fishing and from their boat they observed the dead body. Hastening ashore, Moir was the first person to put his hand upon the corpse. He and one of his companions proceeded to carry the body to the village of Whitehills nearby. Whilst carrying the body, they passed over the exact spot Moir had seen the dead man lying in his dream. When about six yards beyond this, Moir's companion slipped and dropped the board upon which the body lay, causing it to fall to the ground. Moir, keeping hold of his end of the board, observed blood upon the face of the corpse, and he looked upon the incidents as the fulfilment of his dream. However, more was to come.

The vision in the dream returned repeatedly to Moir through 1871, to the point it disturbed him so much that he could not go out walking or sit down at home in the evening without recalling it. He was conscious of becoming taciturn, morose and absent. Finally, at the end of January 1872, he went down to a place known as Stakeness, about 400 yards from the place in his original vision and began digging with a spade. He immediately turned up a human skull, followed by the lower jaw with teeth and shoulder bones. Further digging brought up other bones of a human body as far as the tigh. Realising he had dug up a skeleton, Moir fetched one William Lorimer, the cattleman at the farm, to help with the digging and they brought out the lower bones of the skeleton. Both men then deposited the bones in the cavity, and covered them up, and Moir went to the village of Whitehills to consult Mr. Taylor, a local shopkeeper. An Inspector M'Gregor of the county police happened to call into the shop at the same time. Moir immediately told him what had happened and they hurried to where the bones lay. It being dusk, the inspector arranged the removal of the skeleton the next day and reported the matter to the Procurator Fiscal.

The place where the bones were found seemed an unlikely one for a grave, there being only a thin layer of mould and earth above the shingle; nearby were some discoloured stones, suggesting it might have been the site of a kiln for burning kelp, a local industry that had been discontinued about half a century earlier. No murder or disappearance was known locally to account for the discovery. It was suggested that Moir might have heard something in childhood, but in fact his family did not live in the district at the time. The bones were estimated to be at least 50 years old.

However, when enquiries were made about the case in 1883 by a Mr Stewart on behalf of the recently formed Society for Psychical Research, it was soon learned that the story had not ended happily. Stewart discovered that Moir had fallen into what was described as "a state of religious depression such as seriously to unhinge his mind before his death," which occurred in October 1873.

It seems, Moir had been a troubled man until the finding of the skeleton, and after its discovery he divulged his belief that "his dream proceeded from an unaccountable feeling, as if he himself had somehow been witness, of or implicated in, the murderous act".

Moir's wife Jessie confirmed her husband's strange reactions from the night of his dream until the day he dug up the grave. She stated that although the dreams had stopped after the bones were found, the shock to his system led to his death. She also revealed that old people living in the village of Boyndie knew that a man named Elder had disappeared suddenly some 40 or 50 years before. He was said to have left for America, but it was generally believed that he had been murdered in the room which Moir later slept. The dream of the dead passes into the dream of the living; it persists in Moir's mind with the same intensity as in the murdered man's own imagination.

Fortean Times Magazine Vol. 306: "Ghostwatch-Unquiet Graves Part Two"

Pic Source:
21:37 | 0 komentar

Ancient Earthquake Detector with Great Accuracy

In 132 A.D., the world’s first seismoscope was invented in China by a Chinese astronomer, mathematician, engineer, and inventor called Zhang Heng. The instrument was said to resemble a wine jar six feet in diameter, with eight dragons positioned face down along the outside of the barrel, marking the primary compass directions. In each dragon’s mouth was a small bronze ball. Beneath the dragons sat eight bronze toads, with their broad mouths gaping to receive the balls. When the instrument sensed an incoming seismic wave, one of the balls would drop and the sound would alert observers to the earthquake, giving a rough indication of the earthquake’s direction of origin. Historical accounts tell of its great accuracy, though its precise design remains a mystery. The outer appearance and functioning is known for certain, but its inner workings remain open to speculation. The replicas have been built on the best guesses from such speculation.

From the earliest times, the Chinese were concerned with the destructive force of earthquakes. It was recorded in Sima Qian's Records of the Grand Historian of 91 BC that in 780 BC an earthquake had been powerful enough to divert the courses of three rivers. It was not known at the time that earthquakes were caused by the shifting of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust; instead, the people of the ancient Zhou Dynasty explained them as disturbances with cosmic yin and yang, along with the heavens' displeasure with acts committed (or the common peoples' grievances ignored) by the current ruling dynasty.

Zhang Heng's seismoscope

In 132, Zhang Heng presented to the Han court what many historians consider to be his most impressive invention, the first seismoscope. It was named "earthquake weathervane" (houfeng didongyi lit. instrument for measuring the seasonal winds and the movements of the Earth), and it was able to roughly determine the direction (out of eight directions) where the earthquake came from. According to the Book of Later Han (compiled by Fan Ye in the 5th century), his bronze urn-shaped device, with a swinging pendulum inside, was able to detect the direction of an earthquake hundreds of miles/kilometers away.

The first ever earthquake recorded by this
seismoscope was supposedly somewhere in the east. Days later, a rider from the east reported this earthquake.

In 2005, scientists in Zengzhou, China built a replica of Zhang’s seismoscope, estimating the content of the inner mechanism by using technology that was available during the great inventor’s time. They used the replica to detect simulated earthquakes based on waves from four different real-life earthquakes in China and Vietnam. The seismoscope detected all of them. As a matter of fact, the data gathered from the tests corresponded accurately with that gathered by modern-day


Pic Source:
22:15 | 0 komentar

Mysterious Floating City Over Dulali Village In Nigeria

On March of 2011, according to residents of the small border village of Dulali in Lanzai South Ward, Darazo Local Government Area of Bauchi state, the global paranormal phenomenon of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO), also known as flying saucer, was sighted in Nigeria. At that time, practically the entire village consisting of a few hundred people saw a bright light in the sky immediately after morning prayer at the local mosque. Soon after, they saw a massive “flying city” or “floating city” descending from out of the sky.

The place was a border village called Dulali, in Lanzai South Ward, Darazo Local Government of Bauchi State. Saidu Meshai Dulali, a popular hot tea brewer in the village, just finished his morning prayer at the Mosque and was stoking up the local stove for his day’s work. Suddenly, he became aware of a pervading bright light enveloping the atmosphere, followed by a sudden realisation that the heavens were falling on the village. As he looked up at the encroaching sky, he saw the most amazing view of his forty years existence. According to him, “There appeared a wide, large mass of something that looked like a cloud from nowhere and it was flying slowly over the village just at the height of an average tree.

“The cloud was transparent and I saw beautiful tall buildings inside it, with tarred roads and cars. It was like a flying city. And from it I could hear the sound of machines making noise just as you would hear at Ashaka cement factory.”

If Saidu were the only witness of this extraordinary experience, it would have been impossible to take his testimony as a fact. Interestingly, the ‘flying city’ was witnessed by almost all the villagers, hundreds of them, the Chief Imam of the sole village Mosque inclusive. Children and adults all saw and corroborated the story.

However, Brian Engler, commenting on the website, Doubtful News, thinks the “UFO” could have been a “fata morgana” mirage.

“This sounds like a ‘fata morgana’ mirage to me, although I have no idea whether the meteorologic conditions at the time and place would have supported that. Brian Dunning has described the effect several times on Skeptoid and there’s a description that starts out talking about ‘castles in the air’ which sounds a lot like what these folks described. Interesting in any case.”

When the villagers of Dulali were asked whether they had seen any living beings inside the UFO, they were all certain and specific with their response that indeed no living being was seen in that apparent ‘city’ in the sky.


Pic Source:
02:15 | 0 komentar

Carnac Stones

Carnac Stones were a system of more than 3,000 prehistoric standing stones with over 100 monuments, which include burial mounds, stone tombs, enclosures, and linear arrangements of menhirs. The stones were erected between the 5th and 3rd millennia BCE by the Neolithic farming communities which inhabited the area of Carnac, Brittany. The precise date of the stones is difficult to ascertain as little dateable material has been found beneath them. About 3300 BC is the date most commonly estimated for the site's main phase of activity, but some megaliths may date to as early as 4500 BC. The exact significance of the stones, especially the alignments, has been much debated for centuries. Local people long-regarded the megaliths as magical, Boureau Deslandes thought that they had occurred naturally following 'upheavals suffered by the Earth', and the writer Gustave Flaubert famously dismissed them as merely 'large stones'. Early scholars considered them examples of Celtic temples or assembly points for the ancient druids of Armorica or even maps of celestial bodies. 

The Carnac Stones Formation

The Carnac Stones consist of both single standing stones (menhirs) and multistone clusters (dolmens). There are two main groups of stone alignments at Carnac, which are known as the Menec and Kermario alignments. Further smaller alignments are dotted around the area including the Kerlescan and the Petit Menec.

Although the stones date from 4500 BC, modern myths were formed which resulted from 1st century AD Roman and later Christian occupations, such as Saint Cornelius – a Christian myth associated with the stones held that they were pagan soldiers in pursuit of Pope Cornelius when he turned them to stone. Brittany has its own local versions of the Arthurian cycle. Local tradition claims that the reason they stand in such perfectly straight lines is that they are a Roman legion turned to stone by Merlin.


Pic Source:
22:06 | 0 komentar

Pirate "Gaspar" Treasure Found In The Attic

On April 2015, Jose Lopez's sister, Maria, was cleaning out the attic of a home owned by her great-grandparents, Eve and Ernesto Lopez, in Tampa's historic Ybor City area, when she stumbled upon the box. Inside the box, she found coins, a map, a photograph neatly organized with copper wire. And a dessicated hand wearing a ring with the word "Gaspar" on the wedding ring finger, the hand is also secured to the box with copper wire. Lopez says he believes the photo is of his great grandparents Eve and Ernesto Lopez. He also believes the box may have something to do with the mythical pirate Jose Gaspar.

When Maria and Mike were children, their grandfather would tell them stories about his father, Ernesto Lopez, finding Jose Gaspar's pirate treasure. 
Lopez isn't sure when the photo or the box were made. The map has some intriguing clues. It's a map of downtown Tampa and shows the Hillsborough River and two bridges. Rodney Kite-Powell, the curator of the Tampa Bay History Center and was interested to examine the box and its contents.

However, after a close examination of the map, Kite-Powell believes it's likely from the 1920's or 1930's. the coins are not Spanish treasure, and the hand may not be human, but that of a monkey.


Pic Source:
21:42 | 0 komentar

The Brown Lady of Raynham Hall

The photo of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall has never been debunked since it was first taken. Raynham Hall, a manor house near Fakenham, Norfolk, England, has been haunted for more than 250 years by the Brown Lady. The ghost’s identity is not certain. According to legend, the "Brown Lady of Raynham Hall" is the ghost of Lady Dorothy Walpole (1686–1726), the sister of Robert Walpole, generally regarded as the first Prime Minister of Great Britain who lived there in the early eighteenth century. Her ghost is called the Brown Lady because she appears in a brown dress. She was the second wife of Charles Townshend, who was notorious for his violent temper. The story says that when Townshend discovered that his wife had committed adultery with Lord Wharton he punished her by locking her in her rooms in the family home, Raynham Hall. 

The Brown Lady of Raynham Hall

Lucia C Stone recorded the first reference to the ghost in 1835; the sighting took place at Christmas of the same year. Lord Charles Townsend had invited a number of guests to the hall for the Christmas festivities. Among them was a man called Colonel Loftus, who, with another guest called Hawkins, witnessed a figure in a brown dress. He also ran into the apparition on the main stairs. He described her as an aristocratic looking lady with one horrific feature: where her eyes should have been there were only empty sockets, highlighted in a face that glowed with an unearthly light. The captain drew a sketch of the apparition, and others also said that they had witnessed the ghost.

In 1936 the Lady Townsend of the time hired a  photographer to take pictures of the inside of the manor house. The photographer, Mr. Provand, was taking flash photographs of the main staircase when his assistant, Shira, suddenly saw the Brown Lady coming down the stairs. Provand could not see the ghost himself. He pointed the camera where the excited Shira directed and snapped one of the most celebrated ghost photos in history. The photo shows a filmy form of a woman in the middle of the staircase. Many experts have examined the photo, but no evidence of fraud, or a natural explanation, has ever been determined.

Mysteries, Legends, & Unexplained Phenomena: "Ghosts & Haunted Places" by Rosemary Ellen Guiley

Pic Source:
Mysteries, Legends, & Unexplained Phenomena: "Ghosts & Haunted Places" by Rosemary Ellen Guiley page 95
21:12 | 0 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget


Popular Posts