Dendera Lamp of Hathor Temple

In the Temple of Hathor at Dendera, Egypt, there are stone reliefs in the southern crypt, that show a figure holding a lotus, from which emits a snake surrounded by a "protective cocoon", held aloft by a Djed pillar. These stone reliefs interpreted by some researchers as lamps. However, no archaeological or textual evidence for any kind of electrical device, or knowledge concerning electricity, has ever been recovered from ancient Egypt. Do these strange carvings represent an ancient knowledge of electricity, or are they to be interpreted as depicting mythological religious scenes?

Stone relief of "Dendera Lamp" inside the Temple of Hathor
The "Dendera lamp" is a term used to describe a supposed ancient Egyptian electrical lighting technology depicted on three stone reliefs (one single and a double representation) in the Hathor temple at the Dendera Temple complex located in Egypt. The sculpture became notable among fringe historians because of the resemblance of the motifs to some modern electical lighting systems.

A Norwegian electrical engineer noticed that the object shown on the relief could work as a lamp. Peter Krassa and Rainer Habeck, and an Austrian colleague said they could even work out a "lamp" theory based on it. It is a form of bulb, with two arms reaching into it near its thick end, and a sort of cable at the other end, from where a snake is leaping out to touch the arms on the other side. It really looks like a lamp.

The mainstream Egyptologists take the view that the stone reliefs is only a typical set of symbolic images from Egyptian mythology. While there is other theory that describe the stone relief at Dendera temple, it's most likely show an electric eel which living in the Nile called Malapterurus electricus and can be used for medical treatment.

Hidden History: Lost Civilizations, Secret Knowledge and Ancient Mysteries by Brian Haughton;;;

Pic Source:
20:20 | 2 komentar

Mystery of Arthur's Seat Coffins

In 1836 five boys searching for rabbits found a set of seventeen mysterious tiny coffins with three or four inches long, containing small wooden figures in a cave on the crags of Arthur's Seat which is located in Holyrood park to the East of the Royal Mile, Edinburgh. They were dressed differently in both style and material. There were two tiers of eight coffins each, and a third one begun, with one coffin. The purpose has remained a mystery ever since the discovery.

According to one of Charles Fort's memorable passages, who described the mysterious discovery in London Times, July 20, 1836:

"The extraordinary datum, which has especially made mystery here: That the coffins had been deposited singly, in the little cave, and at intervals of many years. In the first tier, the coffins were quite decayed, and the wrappings had moldered away. In the second tier, the effects of age had not advanced too far. And the top coffin was quite recent looking."

The mysterious Arthur's Seat coffins

No-one knows what they were, why they were buried or who buried them but people have been trying to resolve the mystery ever since. At the time of their discovery, The Scotsman suggested they were used by witches casting death spells on specific individuals.

Another theories is that they were kept by sailors to protect against death. Also it has been suggested that they might be connected with the murders committed by Burke and Hare in 1828. Working in Edinburgh, they sold the bodies of people they had murdered for dissection in the city's anatomy classes. There were 16 known victims of the serial-killers plus the first person sold "to the doctors", namely a man who had died of natural causes. Alternatively, the coffins may represent the 16 bodies sold to the doctors, plus that of the final victim who remained unburied at the time of the duo's arrest, but was, as a destitute beggar, very likely dissected in any case. William Burke was caught and executed for his crimes in 1829. Ironically his body was legally given to an anatomy class for dissection.

The coffins also feature in the 2001 crime novel "The Falls" by Ian Rankin. Now, the miniature coffins are displayed in Edinburgh's Royal Museum.


Pic Source:
19:47 | 0 komentar

The New York's Eternal Flame Falls

Spread across the world, there are hundreds of 'natural' eternal flames, and each one is thought to be kept alight by natural gas produced from the rocks beneath it. The gas used to keep the flames burning is thought to come from ancient and extremely hot rocks called shale. However, Eternal Flame Falls which located in the Shale Creek Preserve, a section of the Chestnut Ridge Park is one of the most unique eternal flames because it's hidden behind waterfalls in western New York. A small grotto at the waterfall's base emits natural gas, so it can be lit to produce a small flame and interestingly it's visible nearly year round. According to local legend, it has been lit thousands of years ago by Native Americans.

Eternal Flame Falls in New York

Eternal Flame Falls is highly dependent on rainfall and melt water. It is usually only flowing in early spring, or after long bouts of heavy rain. It reaches 30 ft high, cascading over sloping shale in two segments. The top is a narrow cascade over limestone, nearly 8 ft high. The second tier spreads out more than twice the width as it cascades over shale. A small grotto, 5 ft up from the creek bed, to the right houses the natural gas spring that can be ignited to create a flame of 4-8 inches in height. When flow is high, the water pours over the grotto, covering the flame and diffusing the light like a lampshade.

For years, scientists thought that the eternal flame in New York was kept alight by gas produced by ancient, extremely hot rocks. However, Arndt Schimmelmann and the researchers from Indiana University have discovered that the rocks underneath the Chestnut Ridge County Park aren't hot enough to produce this gas.

Schimmelmann said that the rocks were only the temperature of a 'cup of tea'. Plus, the shale isn't as old as first expected. Both of these factors mean that the shale beneath the New York flame couldn't be creating gas in the same way as other flames around the world, which means another process is producing the gas that's keeping the flame burning. And the researchers admitted they have not been able to identify exactly what the process is, and unsure exactly how the New York gas is being produced.

Eternal Flame Falls featured in the book Secret Places written by Bruce Kershner which claims there is "elf" sightings around the falls.


Pic Source:
18:06 | 0 komentar

John Godley's Strange Dreams

John Godley's dream-run of the horse racetrack began on the night of Friday, March 8, 1946, when he was a student at Balliol College, Oxford University. He dreamed that he was reading the horse racing results in Saturday’s newspaper and saw the names of two winners – Bindal and Juladin. The next morning he told a friend about his dream, and together they consulted the sports pages in Saturday’s newspapers. The two horses were running, in separate races, later that day. Godley backed both horses, as did other friends he had told about his dream. Both horses won.

Several weeks later, just before the Grand National race on April 3, 1946, Godley was at his parents’ home in Ireland when he had his racing dream again. This time he was looking at a list of winners. When he woke up, he could recall only one of them – Tubermore. He discovered that a horse called Tuberose was running in the Grand National the following day. The similarity of the two names was good enough for Godley and his family. That horse, Tuberose, was up against odds of 100-6. Godley, with his brother and sister acting as witnesses, bet three pounds on Tuberose, and it won, returning over 60 pounds to Godley. “I had never heard of Tuberose before that day. It was an unconsidered outsider. I have watched its fortunes since, and it has never won another race,” said Godley.

The next dream occurred on July 28, 1946. In it Godley was calling his bookmaker from a pay phone, and his bookmaker was saying that Monumentor had won. Next morning Godley checked the newspapers. There was a horse called Mentores running that day. He backed it and it won.

A year later Godley had his fourth special dream. This time he was at the races and saw that the winning horse carried the distinctive racing colours of the Gaekwad of Baroda, an Indian prince, and that the jockey was an Australian, Edgar Britt. Godley also heard the crowd shouting the name of the favourite for the next race – The Bogie. Godley checked the newspapers and found that the prince’s horse was running that afternoon and that the jockey was Edgar Britt. He also discovered that the favourite in the next race was named the Brogue. By now Godley took the matter seriously and wanted to be able to provide evidence that he could accurately predict the outcome of the races. He deliberately told two close friends about the dream, wrote down his predictions, had them witnessed, and left the statement at the local post office for safekeeping. He backed both horses. They both won. The news spread around the world. The dreamer became racing correspondent on the London Daily Mirror.

Fortune continued to favor him with strange dreams from time to time, on October 29, 1946; January 16, 1949; and February 11, 1949. But then, quite mysteriously, the gift left him for 11 years, until the spring of 1958. In that year he had a succession of winning dreams, including the Grand National winner, ‘Mr. What.’ Afterwards, once again, the gift departed and this time, it never returned.

36 Unsolved Mysteries of the World by Vikas Khatri;
A Paranormal File by John Pinkney;

Pic Source:
22:19 | 0 komentar

Mystery of Tucson Artifacts

On September 13, 1924 several unusual artifacts of a mysterious nature were unearthed by Charles E. Manier when he found a riveted lead cross near Tucson, Arizona. One of the first crosses to be unearthed was bound together by rivets; and when each half was separated they revealed Latin and Hebrew inscriptions, but of an unknown style and form. The cross had been protruding from where the roadway had cut through an embankment on a bluff on the west side of the Santa Cruz River. Manier took the first artifact to the Arizona State Museum to be studied by archaeologist named Karl Ruppert. Ruppert was impressed with the artifact, and went with Manier to the site the next day where he found a 7 pounds (3.2 kg) caliche plaque with some inscriptions including an 800 AD date. Nearly three dozen artifacts were eventually found at this site.

Reminiscent of Havisupal Canyon, one of the crosses had, as its only inscription, a depiction of what could only be a dinosaur. A number of the symbols revealed possible mystical origins, including emblems of freemasonry, in particular the Masonic square and compass.

Another cross that was found had a snake entwined around it and displayed a number of indecipherable symbols and a few Hebrew letters. Many of the artifacts have an esoteric element associated with them in one way or another.

The Tucson artifacts were believed, by their discoverer to be of a Roman Judeo-Christian colony existing in what is now known as Arizona between 790 - 900 AD. No other find has been formally established as placing any Roman colony in the area, nor anywhere else in North America.

Manier and his friend Thomas Bent, who owned the property and therefore the artifacts, had brought in skilled professionals with irreproachable credentials to assist in the excavation. The establishment’s final verdict was that a catholic boy of Hispanic decent, Vicente Odohui, who had lived in the area; or possibly Mormons trying to support doctrine, had planted the artifacts beforehand. These both may be plausible explanations for the discovery of these objects, except when they are viewed together with other artifacts of a similar nature.

Now many of the Tucscon artifacts have been donated to the Arizona Historical Society and are on occasional display in Tucson.

Mystery of America: Book 1 - Enigmatic Mysteries and Anomalous Artifacts of North America by Tedd St. Rain;

Pic Source:
Mystery of America: Book 1 - Enigmatic Mysteries and Anomalous Artifacts of North America by Tedd St. Rain page 40
21:15 | 0 komentar

Mysterious Russian Elk Geoglyph

In 2007, Alexander Shestakov noticed a huge stone structure in the shape of an elk or deer/moose near Lake Zjuratkul in the Urals north of Kazakhstan when he examining a satellite image on Google earth. Immediately, he alerted researchers, who sent out a hydroplane and paraglider to survey the giant structure. The size of the "elk" geoglyph is estimated 900ft (275m) long, excluding the tail. It had an elongated muzzle, four legs, two antlers, and what looked like a tail. It faces north and is visible from a nearby ridge. Researchers say this geoglyph may have been built by a "megalithic culture" operating in the area during the past and connected with other Megaliths in the Urals and on Vera Island.

According to archaeologist Stanislav Grigoriev and monument conservationist Nikolai Menshenin, in their report, published in Antiquity last spring, “the figure would initially have looked white and slightly shiny against the green grass background.” However, it is now covered by a layer of soil. In the period of its creation the soil layer was only 10 cm, and today it is 40 cm to 50 cm.

Russian Geoglyph (Elk-Shaped)

Fieldwork carried out last summer suggests the glyph may be the product of a megalithic culture. Grigoriev and his team found the remains of passageways and what appear to be small walls on the hoof and muzzle of the animal. “The hoof is made of small crushed stones and clay,” he said. “It seems to me there were very low walls and narrow passages among them.

Also in the area of a muzzle: crushed stones and clay, four small broad walls and three passages.” finds include about 40 quartzite tools found on the structure’s surface, most of them mattocks, useful for digging and chopping. The style of stone-working suggests these are Eneolithic (between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age – fourth to third millennium BC). This would make the geoglyph far older than Peru’s Nazca lines, the very earliest of which, we are told, were created around 500 BC. Current studies of ancient pollen at the Russian site should provide a more precise date.

Some 300 megalithic sites have been discovered in the Urals, including numerous menhirs, but few have been studied in detail. The most elaborate structures are on the relatively small Vera Island, located on Turgoyak Lake, about 35 miles (60km) northeast of the "elk" geoglyph. Grigoriev described these megaliths in a 2010 article, noting the surviving portion of one monument, megalith two, as being covered by a mound and supporting a gallery and square chamber. Another monument, megalith one, is cut into the bedrock and covered by a mound. More than 60ft (18m) long and 20ft (6m) wide, it contains three chambers one of which has bas-relief sculptures of animals, probably a bull and wolf. Stone tools and ceramics date these sites date to between the Eneolithic and the early Iron Age.

Fortean Times Magazine vol.299 April 2013: "Russian Geoglyph";;

Pic Source:
Fortean Times Magazine vol.299 April 2013: "Russian Geoglyph" page 12
20:21 | 0 komentar

The Beast of Bray Road Sightings

The Beast of Bray Road is a mysterious creature (cryptozoological) which was first sighted in the 1949 near the town of Elkhorn, Wisconsin. Several eyewitnesses report it as a bear-like or wolf-like creature, while other described it as a hairy biped resembling Bigfoot, with height around 5 feet 7 inches. Weight, 150 pounds, some sources said 400-700 pounds. It has brownish-silver hair or fur with glowing, yellowish eyes, pointed ears, wolf-like muzzle, fangs, wide chest and shoulders. Muscular forelegs. Fingers with claws. Hind legs oddly shaped and longer than a dog’s. Tail like a husky or German shepherd dog.

Bray Road itself is a quiet country road near the community of Elkhorn. The rash of claimed sightings in the late 1980s and early 1990s prompted a local newspaper, the Walworth County Week, to assign reporter Linda Godfrey to cover the story.

In September or October 1989, farmer Scott Bray encountered a “strangelooking dog” that left tracks in his cow pasture.

On October 31, 1991, Doristine Gipson was attacked by a large animal as she was stopped along the road. The creature hit the car trunk as she drove away. She described it has having a large chest, like that of a weightlifter’s. She was certain that she had not seen a large dog, but a humanlike creature that had a wide chest and was covered with long, brown hair.

A twelve-year-old girl said that she had been with a group of friends walking near a snow-covered cornfield when they sighted what they believed to be a large dog. When they began to call it, it stared at them, then stood upright. As the children screamed their alarm, the beast dropped back down on all fours and began running toward them. Fortunately for them, the monster suddenly headed off in another direction and disappeared.

Late one winter’s night in 1993, Lorianne Endrizzi was driving down Bray Road in Elkhorn, Wisconsin, when she saw what she at first thought was a man crouching at the side of the road. Curious as to what he might be doing on the shoulder of the road, she slowed down to take a closer look. Within the next few moments, she was astonished to see that the being spotlighted in the beams of her headlights was covered with fur, had a long, wolf-like snout, fangs, pointed ears, and eyes that had a yellowish glow. The thing’s arms were jointed like a human’s, and it had hands with humanlike fingers that were tipped with pointed claws.

Lorianne sped off, thinking that the creature was so humanlike that it had to be some kind of freak of nature. Later, when she visited the library, she found a book with an illustration of a werewolf.

She said that she was startled to see how much the classic monster of legend resembled the beast that she had seen that night on Bray Road right there in Elkhorn, Wisconsin.

Along Bray Road on the night of August 13, 1999, a woman and her family saw what at first looked like a deer, but it was about 5 feet tall and had glowing, red eyes. It approached the car steadily to within 50 feet before they drove away.

In those reports, some supernatural elements are occasionally present such as human-like behavior similar with the Werewolf or Skinwalker creature, impressions of telepathic messages from the creatures, or even a glimpse of the creature partially “morphing” or transforming. However, most of the incidents describe a wolf-like animal that is unusual only in its behavior: walking or running upright and sometimes eating or carrying prey with its forelimbs. Many indigenous traditions claim the creature is an ancient spirit being.

Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena: "Mythical Creatures" by Linda S. Godfrey;
Mysterious Creatures: "A Guide to Cryptozoology" by George M. Eberhart;
Real Monsters, Gruesome Creatures, and Beasts from the Darkside by Brad Steiger;

Pic Source:
19:56 | 0 komentar

The Jaboticabal Poltergeist Case

The Jaboticabal Poltergeist case took place in the 1960s in Jaboticabal, Brazil. The main cause of the disturbances identified itself as an angry spirit who was taking revenge on the victim, an 11-year-old girl. The haunting started when bricks - seemed to come from nowhere - fell into the home of the Ferriers. After several days of falling bricks, the family believed an evil spirit was present. In December 1965, the Ferrier house, and all those who resided there, came under attack by bricks that would fly through the windows and doors of the modest little home, breaking valuables and occasionally striking members of the family. After investigating and ruling out the possibility of some unknown assailant throwing the bricks, the family became convinced that they were under attack by some kind of demonic entity.

Soon afterward they contacted their local priest and begged for an exorcism to be performed. When the priest arrived at the Ferrier household, he spoke with the family about the strange activity that held them in fear. The priest, himself, witnessed numerous unexplained phenomena that included bricks striking the home, plates moving of their own accord, and rappings on the wall.

Unfortunately, as this priest would soon discover, an exorcism cannot rid a home of a poltergeist. In fact, in cases dealing with poltergeists, exorcisms have proven time and again to make matters worse. And this case was no exception. After the priest left, the activity in the Ferrier house picked up and became five times more violent than it had been. Bricks and stones continued to crash through the house, followed by eggs, dishes, other household objects, and even furniture.

Poor Maria was the center of the attacks. She was slapped, bruised, and bitten by unseen attackers. Once she was attacked with needles that suddenly appeared embedded in her skin. One day while she was eating her lunch at school, her clothing began to smolder.

Joao Volpe, a local dentist and Spiritist, was contacted by friends of the Ferriers and immediately went to the frightened family. When Volpe arrived at the Ferrier home, he calmed the fears of the family and assured them that what caused the activity in the home was not the work of the wicked one, but rather the work of a poltergeist. Volpe explained that a poltergeist was not a spirit but rather the pent up frustration of a member of the family that was expressed in an unexplained manner.

Volpe was convinced that Maria Jose, the Ferrier’s 11-year-old daughter, was the cause of the phenomena and may be a natural medium, affecting the immediate environment and possessing the ability to contact spirits. Volpe became even more convinced of his theory when Maria Jose stated that she had numerous invisible friends who treated her kindly and could make candy and other treats appear at her feet when she asked.

Volpe was astonished by what the young girl told him. He asked her parents if he could take the girl to his home and study her further. The Ferriers allowed Volpe to take her away. The first few days that Maria Jose spent in the Volpe house was peaceful and free of the phenomena that plagued her parents’ home.

Volpe began to wonder if perhaps Maria Jose was happy with getting away from her parents, which may have been the cause her stress. However, rocks soon began striking the home, and loud bangs that seemed to “come from nowhere but from everywhere” filled the house. Volpe and numerous associates watched as a large stone flew in through an open window, struck three people on the head, and flew out through the window.

One night, Maria Jose’s clothes inexplicably caught fire, severely burning Volpe and setting his room on fire. He concluded that the help she required needed to come from a medium much stronger than he is. Only one man could cure this child: the great medium Chico Xavier.

After the attacks, Maria was taken to Chico Xavier at the Spiritist center in Uberaba, Brazil. Upon hearing of the young girl’s plight, Xavier gave Volpe and Maria Jose swift admittance into his home. Xavier quickly went about the business of contacting the spirits to determine what caused the girl to experience this violent, otherworldly behavior. While in a trance, Xavier made contact with a spirit who claimed that Maria Jose, in a former life, was an evil witch who caused the deaths of many people via her Black Magic. The spirit went on to say that he and his fellow spirits were sent to Maria Jose as a curse to make her suffer for the crimes she had committed in her former life.

Chico Xavier was able to persuade the spirits to leave the young girl alone, because it was unfair that she should be held responsible for events beyond her control. After many hours of prayer, Xavier declared that Maria Jose was now free from the spirits that plagued her and that she could go in peace and live a happy life.

After several months of poltergeist attacks, Maria Jose Ferrier was allowed to return home and live with her parents once again. However, few days later Maria was found dead of poisoning; she took her own life by lacing her soda with a mixture of pesticides. She is believed to have ended her own misery in order to stop the attacks. Suddenly, all the poltergeist activity stopped after Maria’s death.

Paranormal Underground Magazine Vol. 03 Issue 10, October 2010: "The Jaboticabal Poltergeist" by Rick E. Hale, McHenry County Paranormal Research Group;
Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena: "Ghosts and Haunted Places" by Rosemary Ellen Guiley

Pic Source:
20:20 | 0 komentar

Oshoro Stone Circles

Oshoro Stone Circles is the largest ancient stone circles in Japan which arranged in concentric circles - surrounds big oval (with the size of 33m x 22m), on its south side twenty stones are in the half-tonne range. Excavations suggest that it is about 4000 years old. It is first discovered in 1861, at Oshoro, southwestern Hokkaido, near the port of Otaru by a party of herring fishermen (they were migrants from Honshu). Huge tree pillar is discovered in the area of Oshoro the same times to the north side of this stone circle by excavation.

It is one of about 30 Late Jomon stone circles scattered through northern Japan. The Late Jomon period (circa 2400-1000 B.C.) was an age of northward migration. No bones have been found to make an airtight case of the cemetery theory, but relatively few Jomon bones have been found anywhere, the acid in the soil claiming them long before the archaeologist’s trowel can.

The Scottish doctor, prewar pioneer in Japan and amateur archaeologist Neil Gordon Munro, in his synthesis of Japanese archaeology (1908) described the Oshoro Stone Circles as an early interest of local people at that time in Cosmology, even though the stone circles not megalithic, they were laid out oriented to movements of the celestial bodies. He thought at first the stone circles might be astronomical observatories akin to Stonehenge in southwest England.

Oshoro Stone Circles in Japan

According to J. Edward Kidder in "The Cambridge History of Japan", late Jomon people were isolating the dead, allowing the gap to be bridged by mediums who eventually drew the rational world of the living further away from the spirit world of the dead. "Probably, the Oshoro Stone Circles was a cemetery," he said.

Naoaki Ishikawa, the chief curator of the Otaru Museum also think maybe it was a cemetery, because of the large number of unidentifiable, and probably ritual, objects unearthed in the vicinity; partly because of the many tools found unbroken, suggesting grave goods; also because the graves are among the few things that would have justified the degree of effort involved. Constructing a stone circle is a major undertaking. You have to flatten the land, quarry the stones, transport them, lay them out.

However, Ishikawa raises another possibility — that it could have been a trash dump, which would explain the roughly 400,000 tool and pottery fragments so far unearthed there.

The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of Ritual and Religion by Timothy Insoll;
Underworld: "The Mysterious Origins of Civilization" by Graham Hancock;;

Pic Source: (page 14)
14:07 | 0 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget


Popular Posts